When and why did you start drumming?
June or July of 2013! I had to start drumming. When I first got a taste, it’s like you can’t go back, and you can’t stop. It feels good knowing that I’m bringing the sound. Plus it’s a challenge. Never knew I could do it. Lol
Do you sing or play other instruments?
I sing. I have a melodica, a guitar, a kalimba. I can plink my harp.
What’s your favourite memory of drumming?
First show I did at cherry beach. And then the festivals. Too many to mention. They all were AMAZING memories. Especially heading to the island or to Wasaga.
What inspired you to join TDot Batu?
Watching Aline’s band play a footprints party. My first time seeing Brazilian drums. I fell in love. And then playing. What a rush.
What advice would you give to beginners?
1) First, record everything you play. Especially the breaks. Then listen to them. Listening is different than playing. Know what you’re playing and how it sounds.
2) Don’t play the drum hard especially if you’re not sure of what you play. Remember, It’s not just you playing… You have people beside you that will think it’s correct becaus you play loud.
3) If you’re not sure, ALWAYS ask. There is no dumb question. Sometimes, you’re in your head figuring out a rhythm and you miss what the teacher said. Ask anyways. Which bring me to
4) DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL. Sometimes like a sports coach, the teacher will tell or give directions. It’s only because he wants it to sound tight. There’s no crying in drumming.
5) Don’t miss practice of you want to get better at playing.
6) TIMING. All it takes is a one millisecond hit to change the feel and rhythm of the song. Make sure you are correct with timing. Too fast kills it. Too slow kills it. Listen to how it’s supposed to sound as much as you can.
7) And SMILE AND HAVE FUN DANCING!!! If you’re in the middle, you have big responsibility of getting THE WHOLE BAND MOVING. MAKE SURE YOU CAN DANCE PLAY AND SMILE AT THE SAME TIME!
What are you listening to lately?
Chico Trujillo, Boogat, Movimiento original, house music, funk soul.
All of it….
What’s your favorite place in the TDot?
The island. Lol. Or the beachside. Anywhere my familia is!!!!